January 08, 2017

Chubtown, Oshawa, Ontario - circa 1860s

In the City of Oshawa, on Ritson Rd. just north of Winchester Rd., past the hydro lines is a quaint little village that is not marked by signs. In the 1800's this was called "Chubtown". The hamlet was named after an English immigrant to The Township of East Whitby, R.V. Chubb (occupation: livery and bus). Back then the Town of Oshawa was located geographically in the Township of East Whitby too. The hamlet had a tannery and sawmill, a post office, a butcher and about 7 homes and 5 farms (owned by R Harper, E. Cole, R. Power, W. Hill and T. Grass). Bone remains of animals were found recently in a field near where the local butcher once lived. An old barn foundation on the property where the sawmill once was has been turned into a garden. This barn housed sheep at one point.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment. Comments are reviewed within 24 to 48 hours and then made public as is appropriate.